Our Sites alpha technologies alpha flying circus alpha drones
When do I need permission? « Canada's Drone Enthusiast Group | alpha flying circus

When do I need permission?

When do I Need Permission?IMG_6922 (Medium)

The world has changed in the last few years in the UAV industry, even in the last few months.

The rules have become more refined from Transport Canada and there is still a lot of confusion when it comes to “what can you do commercially and just for fun?”

So many people don’t understand that the rules that Transport Canada have created are probably the most lenient and understanding guidelines of any current country.

We understand that we have a great ratio of land to population.  We have 1/9th the population with a much larger land mass than our southern neighbors.  That gives us a lot of safe areas to fly so respecting the rules shouldn’t be difficult.

All that TC asks is that you are safe and understand the rules.

The confusion lies in the 2KG and under class of UAV use.

You have to read the exemptions and understand them.

If you are within 5 miles of a built up area, town, city, or event, then you need to apply for an SFOC.

If you are within 5 miles of an airport you need to get an SFOC.

You need at minimum 100,000 dollars of liability insurance and suggested is 500,000 dollars.

You need the permission of the owner of the property that you intend to take off and land on.

There are more “conditions” listed on TC’s website and you need to make sure you adhere to ALL of them before you are exempt in that weight class.

That means if you are flying out on a private farm located far enough away from airports and built up areas, then you are exempt.

If you think you can fly at a church to do wedding shots on the perimeter, then you need to apply for an SFOC or you are subject to some pretty stiff fines  and possibly losing the right to continue to do this commercially.

If you don’t know what an SFOC is, then you need to do some research on Transport Canada’s website if you intend on charging for your services.

Even if you just intend to have fun and record the family riding bikes, or having a picnic, it doesn’t hurt to know the guidelines.

They are common sense for those of us that have operated RC equipment for years and it is about safety.

Flying over a road that has traffic is not safe.

Flying over people is not safe.

These are not toys and they will do damage if they hit someone, and can set off a chain reaction in the wrong circumstances.

Anyone not adhering to these rules is selfish and not thinking about those around them.

Having flown RC aircraft for over 20 years, and multi rotors/camera platforms for the last 5, I can truly say that even though there have been accidents that have crashed our craft, nobody has ever been hurt or put in danger.

We have fun but are responsible at the same time.

That doesn’t mean boring, far from that.

All it will take is the selfish decisions by one person to cause this hobby and industry to change.

Take what Transport Canada suggests seriously as they have all of our best interests at heart.


Leave a Reply

Post History

February 2024
« May